It’s A Big Step, But Is It Worth It?
The cost of dental treatment in Ireland and the UK can be prohibitive for many patients. They may have to turn down treatments recommended by their dentists, or go for a cheaper treatment that will be not as satisfactory for them. Faced with a choice between going without or going abroad, more and more dental patients are starting to explore the idea of having dental treatment in Hungary.
Even though dental treatment in Hungary, at Budapest clinics such as Access Smile, is becoming more common, people, when first introduced to the idea, tend to react by saying, ‘Oh no, I couldn’t possibly do that.’
Fears about going for dental treatment in Hungary
People have a number of things that worry them about going abroad to get their teeth fixed. These include:
- The problem of being wrongly diagnosed
- The standard of treatment not being as high
- The dentists not being as well-trained
- The dentists not being professionally regulated
- Not being able to understand what is being said during treatment
- Getting lost in Budapest on the way to the dentist
- The treatment not being properly finished before it’s time to fly home
- Little or no aftercare
- Discovering hidden costs once treatment is underway
- Door hotel accommodation.
How to avoid the pitfalls of going overseas for treatment
There are lots of dental practices offering treatment overseas, particularly in Hungary, which has become the dental tourism capital of Europe.
Here are a few things that can help make things go more smoothly.
It is a good idea to check that the dentists are registered with the Hungarian Medical Chamber, which is the Hungarian equivalent of the UK’s General Dental Council or the Irish Dental Council. If the dental clinic has a surgery locally, the dentists may also be members of the UK or Irish dental councils too.
Getting there and accommodation
Some clinics offer an all-in-one package, so that people can relax during their trip for dental treatment in Hungary. They get picked up at the airport, and taken to hotels that are trusted by the dental clinic, and are also ferried to and from their appointments.